May 25, 2012

Counting Snails

The weather was absolutely beautiful this morning. It was all misty and drizzly. Not only is it the perfect weather for cuddling up with a cup of coffee and your sweetheart, it's the perfect weather for stomping snails.

A beautiful drizzly day in the neighborhood.

 While snails typically disappear with the coming of daylight, they linger when the weather is cool and damp. As I was leaving mid morning to go do laundry I saw a couple of snails out for a stroll in the drizzle, so I stomped them. I saw a few more, so I stomped them too. Curious as to how many I could get rid of I started counting. 40 minutes later, I had circled my house and garden shed twice. How many terrestrial molluscs did I send up to the great garden in the sky? 293!!!

Good bye helix aspersa, better know as the common garden snail.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh!!!! 293? That's crazy. I hate snails, as should anyone who has tried gardening, but I actually hate to stomp them more. Theres something about the crunching and the oozing sound that give me the heebie jeebies. I choose to fling them as far as I can into the neighbors yard (did I really just write that?). But good for you for getting a good stomping fest in during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty Kristin :) I'd rather stomp them than set bait for them since I have so many frogs and lizards in my garden. I use Sluggo when they get out of hand (it's approved for organic gardens, and I DO recommend it), but I just feel like it will hurt something as delicate as frogs. Of course you could round them all up and have El Hubbo stomp them for you ;)

    ReplyDelete