May 26, 2012

Avocado and Feta Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I made this a couple of weeks ago, but since I had taken a few pictures to share my delicious creation on Facebook I thought I should also share it here! Diana Meiczan's Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich was something I pinned on Pinterest and boy was it inspirational! 

UDI's Gluten Free bread

I didn't have any spinach, unfortunately, but I DID have avocados! And here in sunny southern California, we have beautiful avos. I used UDI's basic whole grain bread. As with most things GF, I recommend toasting the bread till it's just starting to brown. It falls apart otherwise.

I tried something I've never tried before, mayonaise on the outside. I always do my grilled cheeses in butter. Next time I make this I will either go with just the mayo or the butter, with both it was a tad oily.

I was also out of sliced cheese. However, I did have some good quality shredded cheese and feta. Limited ingredient breeds creativity. I added the shredded cheese and feta together in the pan, let it meld together, and then spread it via spatula onto the nearby toasting bread

To dress it up, I added some crushed red pepper. On top of all that was nestled the fresh avocado, some pink Himalayan salt, fresh cracked pepper, and the lazy cooks best friend, Season All.

Overall, it was delicious. I was in a salty mood, so I paired it with some black olives.

Short on space and not wanting to do more dishes than necessary, I used the avo peel :)

Even the toddler liked it! I made his on real bread and without the crushed red pepper.

Yummo!

 ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! What type was the shredded cheese? I've never though to mix them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, let me look...Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican is what I used in this picture. I made it a few days later with Havarti and smoked Gouda, which I HIGHLY recommend! Feta is a must, either way :)

    ReplyDelete