June 27, 2012

Father's Day Toddler Gift


For Father’s Day this year I wanted to find a project that both my son and I could work on together to show Daddy how much we appreciated him. I looked and looked for something that he would really appreciate. Painting a tie or making a paper weight just isn’t our thing. Daddy doesn’t wear ties (and what dad really wears them beyond Father’s Day anyways?) and we don’t have a desk for a paper weight. Besides that, I am sorta anti nick-knacks. I really can’t stand things that have no purpose and take up valuable shelf space… unless it also has a use, which is different.

A toddler friendly craft!
I found this great idea revolving around cookies (what dad doesn’t like cookies?!). The original idea takes a Pringles package, have the child paint it, and then fill it with dad’s favorite cookie. Well, I hate Pringles and, unless you’re packing Oreos, the can really isn’t big enough for normal cookies. I found a can that works much better than Pringles, Pik-Nik Original Shoestring Potatoes. They taste like potato chips in more of a french-fries form, much tastier than Pringles. 

Anyways, I washed it the container and dried it as quickly as possible (it’s paper with foil). I painted it red all over to cover the printing and give the kiddo a clean canvas to work on. I handed him an old paintbrush and set up a paper plate with acrylic paint. I helped him by turning the can as he painted to keep him from overworking the colors into that nondescript form of gray that toddlers are masters at creating. We let it dry and I baked homemade chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I used a plastic bread bag to line the painted can since I don’t totally trust washed cardboard with acrylic paint all over it. The cookies fit perfectly, and we delivered the cookies to Daddy at work. There is always something about having special gifts delivered to you at work. Think about it, isn’t it fun when we gals get flowers at work? There’s something about having witnesses to your reception of a thoughtful gift. Guys like it too, it’s just harder to find a good opportunity.

                         BEFORE                                    DURING                                  AFTER!




No comments:

Post a Comment