July 2, 2012

Mud Run Shirts

So my sister, Hollywood, and I did the World Famous Camp Pendleton Mud Run last month. In preparation for this momentous occasion we decided that cute customized crop tops died hot pink were in order. Most people would be loading up on water and sleep the night before a 10k obstacle course, but not us! 

Kristin found an idea on the internet for dying t-shirts and leaving a design with Elmer's Glue. It very highly recommended the blue GEL School Glue. I went to 5 different stores before I finally found it at Staples for around $3 ( I can't find the reciept). I also bought 2 white tank tops from WalMart for $5 each, and a package of pink Rit Dye for $2.29 from JoAnns. 

First, write or draw what you want on your shirt with the Elmer's. We put a piece of cardboard in the shirt to keep the front from sticking to the back. Use a paint brush to work the glue into the fabric and crispify your design. Use a hairdryer to speed up the dry time.

Second, dye the shirts according to the package. We used the bucket method with the logical thinking that is won't work the glue out of the fabric.





Third, throw the shirts into the washing machine and wash according to the dye packaging. Don't forget to clean your washer afterwards to prevent ruining your next load of clothes. Dry!


We decided to crop our tops since we had been training since January to become fit enough to complete this run and our tummies are looking pretty darn good. Definitly the best I've looked since having my son a year and a half ago!

Check out those arms!

Poking my sister, Hollywood.
BEFORE
AFTER

Vicious Mud Warriors!



No comments:

Post a Comment